re: salt and yeast

"Virginia G. Turnbull" <virginia@dnet.net>
Sun, 1 Jun 1997 14:40:11 -0400
v097.n039.7
I've known about the relationship between salt and yeast and its effects on
rising times for a long time.  However I have a friend who is on a very low
sodium diet, and I often make him bread in my abm  (a Zojirushi).  I called
the Zojirushi help line several years ago and asked how to do salt-free
bread on their machine.  The answer I got back was two-fold:
	1.  You can substitute the potassium based salt substitute for the sodium
chloride in the same amounts;
	 2. The amount of salt doesn't seem to matter, and so you can use regular
salt (sodium chloride) but vastly cut down the amount you use.  As best I
recall I think the amount was something like 1/4 tsp. per loaf.

	I've had good luck with both approaches, and for my own breads I generally
tend to cut the NaCl down as I don't particularly like things salty.  (I
rarely measure it-just add a pinch or a sprinkle or two.)

	What I don't know is if potassium chloride will kill yeast the same way
sodium chloride will.  I've always carefully separated it from the yeast if
I'm using a delayed setting.

	Good luck!
			virginia@dnet.net