Fleischmann's Peanut Braid (fwd)

"Karen D. Gouvin" <ao774@osfn.org>
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 18:19:41 -0400 (EDT)
v097.n029.17
In case anyone else is interested here IS the recipe that I had been
looking for.  Thank you again Marianne.
Karen

##@#

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 23:46:51 -0500 (EST)
From: Rose4May@aol.com
To: ao774@osfn.org
Subject: Fleischmann's Peanut Braid

Hi Karen,
I think this might be the recipe you're looking for.  I found it in The
Fleischmann Treasury of Yeast Baking from 1962.  Email me back to let me know
you got this.
Happy baking.
Marianne

PEANUT BRAID   (Makes 2 braids)

1 recipe Basic Sweet Dough or Rich Sweet Dough
1 Cup Planters Creamy Peanut Butter
1/2 cup Fleischmann's Margarine
Confectioners' Sugar Frosting
Chopped Planters cocktail peanuts  (Optional)

Prepare dough.  When ready to shape, combine Planters Creamy Peanut Butter
and Fleischmann's Margarine.  Mix until well blended.

Punch down dough.  Divide in half.  Cut each half into 3 pieces. Roll each
piece into a 14 x 3 inch strip.  Spread peanut butter-margarine mixture down
center of strips.  Bring edges to center and pinch to seal.  Form three
strips into a braid, sealing ends well.  Repeat with remaining three strips.
 Place on greased baking sheets.  Cover;let rise in warm place, free from
draft, until doubled in bulk, about one hour.

Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees F.) about 20 minutes.  Cool.  Frost with
confectioners' sugar frosting and sprinkle with chopped peanuts if desired.

BASIC SWEET DOUGH

1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) Fleischmann's Margarine
1/2 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
2 packages or cakes Fleischmann's Yeast, active dry or compressed
2 eggs, beaten
4 1/2 cups unsifted flour (about)

Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt and Fleischmann's Margarine;  cool to
lukewarm.  Measure warm water into large warm bowl.  Sprinkle or crumble in
Fleischmann's Yeast; stir until dissolved.  Stir in lukewarm milk mixture,
beaten eggs and half the flour; beat until smooth.  Stir in remaining flour
to make a slightly stiff dough.  Turn dough out on lightly floured board.
 Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.  Place dough in greased
bowl, turning to grease top.  Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft,
until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch down; turn out on lightly floured board and shape as desired.

RICH SWEET DOUGH

3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) Fleischmann's Margarine
1/2 cup warm water (105 - 115 degrees F)
2 packages or cakes Fleischmann's Yeast, active dry or compressed
1 egg
4 cups unsifted flour

Scald milk; stir in sugar, salt and Fleischmanns Margarine; cool to lukewarm.
 Measure warm water into large warm bowl.  Sprinkle or crumble in
Fleischmann's Yeast; stir until dissolved.  Stir in lukewarm milk mixture,
egg and half the flour; beat until smooth.  Stir in remaining flour to make a
stiff batter.  Cover tightly with waxed paper or aluminum foil.  Refrigerate
dough at least 2 hours.  Dough may be kept in refrigerator 3 days.  To use,
cut off amount needed and shape as desired.