recipes for bread machine vs. hand/KA

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 30 Mar 1997 06:30:07 -0500
v097.n028.3
> I don't have a bread machine and really do not intend to get one.  Some
> of the recipes posted on this list for bread machines I really want to
> try.  I use my kitchen Aid to mix and do part of the kneading.  Is it
> possible just to follow the instructions for bread machine recipes or
> must I somehow modify them?

Yes, indeed you can use your hands, KitchenAid, or food processor to
make just about any bread recipe that comes along!  If the recipe is
posted for an ABM, then just use the ingredients and follow the
standard bread-making procedure to make it in your KA.  If you've
made bread before, the standard procedure is pretty simple:

1.  dry ingredients (salt, flour, etc.; mix; then add yeast; mix in)
2.  wet ingredients
3.  knead
4.  rise
5. shape
6.  bake

That's really all there is to it in most cases!  I do it all the
time.

One thing that you may want to consider is that the KitchenAid has
the ability to make a larger quantity of dough in some cases.  I have
the 5-quart Proline KA and I can double a 1-loaf bread recipe posted
for ABM, ending up with 2 nice loaves for my trouble.  I'm not sure
if the 4-1/2 quart KA can do this since I haven't worked with it.  It
seems like it might be a stretch with the slightly smaller bowl size,
but I'm not sure.

Enjoy your bread-baking,
Joan

cmathew@airmail.net