whole wheat & bread flour

Fred Smith <fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us>
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:11:54 -0500 (EST)
v097.n026.10
> From: Lulumommy@aol.com
> Subject: WW bread & Bread Flour
> Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 23:05:27 -0500 (EST)
>
> Hi everybody,
> My goal is to make whole grain breads for my family with no eggs, milk, or
> processed sugar, and I've tried a few whole wheat recipes that came with the
> machine. However, every loaf I've made so far has turned out with a bitter
> flavor. Is whole wheat destined to make a bitter bread? Could this package of
> whole wheat flour simply be more bitter than it should be? Does the quality
> of the flour really affect it that much? This is just an ordinary package of
> whole wheat flour from the grocery store. What kind of flour do you all
> recommend if you think this is my problem?

Whole wheat flour DOES have a stronger flavor than does white flour, is
it possible that's just what you detect?

I use King Arthur's stone-ground whole wheat flour, available (around here
at least) in grocery stores in 5-lb bags. It's great stuff! I've used it
many times for 100% whole wheat bread, which rises up very nicely (if you
knead it thoroughly!) and tastes great. I'd suggest you see if you can find
some and see if it makes a difference. Also, whole wheat flours contain
more oil than white flours, and this oil can go rancid with age, thereby
damaging the flavor of the flour in a much more noticeable way than white
flour. So, if the bag of flour is old (been sitting in a store for a
year before you bought it) that might be the cause.

>  As you can see, I have narrowed this down to the flour
> (I think)!

Is it possible that something in the machine itself is causing an off
flavor? (I always bake by hand, forgive the slight on your machine ;-)

> Okay, now for my second question -- the manual explains that "bread flour" is
> the type called for in the recipes, plus I see all of your recipes that call
> for this "bread flour." However, I cannot find anything called bread flour at
> the grocery store. Do you have to buy it somewhere else? Or is there another
> name for it and it is right there under my nose?

A good UNBLEACHED all-purpose flour will probably work just about as
well, but avoid like the plague the cheap (and sometimes not so cheap)
bleached (also called bromated) allpurpose flours. A good flour can
really make a striking difference in the resulting bread.

For bread flour, I believe that King Arthur's unbleached white is
labeled as a bread flour, and it, like their whole wheat, is great
stuff.  Doesn't cost a TREMENDOUS amount more than cheaper flours, but
the result is worth it.

I do sometimes use the King Arthur (it's what is in the house right now)
but usually purchase flour in 50-lb bags at a local bakery supply
wholesaler. Not all such dealers will sell a bag or two at a time to an
individual, but this one will. I get a product named "Rex Royal", a
product of General Mills. It is labeled as an all-purpose flour, and it
is unbleached. I find no difference in the taste of the resulting breads
compared to King Arthur, but based on the amount of kneading required
the King ARthur is probably higher in gluten. But the Rex Royal is still
vastly better than the cheap grocery-store flours and is also relatively
inexpensive in 50-lb bags.

Happy baking!

Fred
PS: this is not a King Arthur commercial--I'm just a satisfied user of
their products!

--
 .----    Fred Smith    /                        Office: fred@computrition.com