Re: Unleavened Bread

Enkidu <enkidu@mail.utexas.edu>
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 20:38:47 -0600 (CST)
v097.n026.6
	If you want "official" unleavened bread like real-life Jews use in
real-life seders, the bottom line is that you _can't_ make it. Sanctioned
matzah  nowadays has to be created under strict rabbinical supervision to
ensure that the ingredients, from mixing to baking, remain unadulterated,
and most importantly are never exposed to the air long enough to give wild
yeast a chance to take hold. If you're thinking of "period" bread, your
best bet is probably to do precisely what unleavened bakers of the time
did, which is simply to make some cakes of water/flour dough until it feels
about right (probably in the same concentration as you use for bread), add
some salt, press thin, and bake until crisp. The lack of a definite recipe
is part of the traditional nature, and would certainly help to evoke the
feel of bread baked while fleeing from a pursuing army.

Omar

"I would be a little careful with this, though, as I suspect it might be
easy to burn the z'atar."
debbie, Concord, ma