Fennel (Caraway) Currant Soda Bread

Thu, 13 Mar 1997 21:12:13 -0800
v097.n022.1
Made this today and it was absolutely incredible tasting.  I don't like
caraway seeds so I subbed the fennel and it tasted wonderful.  It is also a
lactose-free recipe for those who are lactose-intolerant.

Reggie

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                Fennel (Caraway) Currant Soda Bread <R T>

Recipe By     : The Lactose-Free Family Cookbook, Jan Main
Categories    : Breads                           Hand Made
                Lactose Free                     Low Fat
                Bread Bakers Mailing List

     3/4  C             Currants
   3      C             Whole-Wheat Flour
   1      C             All-Purpose Flour
   2      Tsp           Baking Powder
   1      Tsp           Baking Soda
   1      Tsp           Salt
   1 1/2  C             Water
     1/4  C             Honey
   2      Tsp           Vegetable Oil -- *Note
   2      Tsp           Fennel Seed -- **Note
                        Granulated Sugar

*NOTE:  Original recipe used 1/4 C vegetable oil... I cut it back
**NOTE:  Original recipe used caraway seed... I changed it and used the
fennel seed

Preheat oven to 350 deg F (180 deg C).  In small bowl, soak currants in
warm water.  Grease baking sheet.

In mixing bowl, stir together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking
powder, baking soda and salt.  Drain currants and add to bowl.  Stir in
water, honey, oil and caraway seeds just until dry ingredients are moistened.

Knead with floured hands until smooth, about 1 min.  Shape into 7" circle.
Place on prepared baking sheet.  Cut large X about 1/4" deep on top;
sprinkle with sugar.

Bake for about 1 hr or until toothpicks inserted in center comes out clean.

Makes a 9" circular loaf.  Serving size is 1/8th.

Soaking currants cleans and plumps them up, making them juicier in recipes.

This has an absolutely incredible flavor!!  I don't like caraway so I
subbed the fennel and it was wonderful.

Entered into MasterCook and tested for you by Reggie & Jeff Dwork
<reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com>

NOTES : Cal  292.1
Fat  2.2g
Carb  63.8g