Bitter taste? Recipe for wheat (but not gluten)-free Rosemary bread (in progress)

Susan Chapin <schapin@mitre.org>
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 08:57:09 -0500
v097.n014.12
I invented a new recipe yesterday in my Zo and it was *wonderful* except
that it had a bitter taste that I could sense only at the very back sides
of my tongue.  Anyone know what might have caused it?

Ingredients were:

Mix together and let cool:
   Amaranth grain, 1/2 cup
   Water, 1 1/4 cup, boiling
   Rosemary, 1 TB

Combine dry ingredients, mix well, bring to room temperature in microwave:
   Gluten, 1/2 cup
   Amaranth flour, 3/4 cup
    Kamut flour, 1 cup
    Oat flakes, 1/2 cup
    Whey, 1 TB

Add water mixture to Zo bread pan along with:
    Barley malt syrup, 1 TB
    Canola Oil,  1 TB
    Lecithin, 1/2 tsp
    Salt, 1 1/4 tsp
    Ascorbic acid, 500 mg (I crushed one Vitamin C tablet)

Add flour mixture to Zo pan, then
    SAF yeast, 1 3/4 tsp

If you try this recipe, (even with the bitter aftertaste it was terrific!)
you will need to monitor the knead and adjust the water/flour ratio.

I also noticed that during the second knead the machine made a loud "chirk"
sound every once in a while;  I thought some of the amaranth grains might
have gotten under the paddle and were squeaking;  it stopped after a while.

If you have any idea what might have caused the chirking sound or the
bitter taste please share with me;  I want to make this recipe regularly.

Thank you,

     - susan (schapin@mitre.org)