Reply to Donna

"Ron Cochran" <cochran@vbe.com>
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 08:03:27 -0600
v097.n014.6
From: donnalpb@cyberg8t.com (donna lynn)
Subject: Wheat bread rising
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 1997 10:49:53 -0800

From: rbursey@pine.alberni.net (Robert Bursey)
Subject: Does salt add flavour?
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 97 18:20:59 PST

I have been having trouble getting some of my whole wheat loaves to rise,
so
much so that I not only cut down the salt, but left it out a few times
altogether. I always thought salt's only purpose was to keep the yeast in
check. But the loaves I have made with no salt are lacking something in the
taste department. So I have been adding about 1 tsp per 1.5 or 2 lb loaves
and
it seems to be ok. I would like somewhat higher loaves, but not if they
taste
bland. BTW, my Black and Decker has this problem. I have been having
trouble
getting rid of my old Regal, because it makes whole wheat loaves that rise
essentially as high as the white flour loaves do. So a second question on
the
subject of rising is are there some machines that just for some reason or
other make denser loaves than others? Thanks.

________
I have tried several things to get whole wheat bread (actually about 1/3
whole wheat, 2/3 white) to rise in a Zoji ABM.  Some loaves also had a
large hole in the middle of the loaf.  These included less water, which is
what the manual recommends.  The thing that worked is to include 1 1/2  to
2 tablespoons of vital gluten in a 1 1/2lb. loaf.  The loaves are still
slightly shorter than with all white flour, but still taste and look fine
with no hole in the middle.

Good luck!

Ron Cochran
cochran@vbe.com