re: Jerusalem flat bread

rich <bzwax@tiac.net>
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:34:22 -0500
v097.n014.4
Walter Mathews wrote:
>>A friend is looking for a recipe for a flat bread that he bought on the
street in the Old City of Jerusalem.  He described it as 8-10" in diameter
with "black stuff" on the top--possibly a mixture of oil and seasonings.
People tore pieces off to eat it.  Any thoughts?  >>

That "black stuff" is called z'atar.  It is sold in packages in mid-east
groceries.  King Arthur also sells it.  It is very delicious.

It has a mixture of spices in it, sesame seeds, and sumac. No, not POISON
sumac, but like the staghorn sumac we have here in the northeast.  It gives
the mix that pleasant lemony-sour taste.

I have made focaccia and sprinkled the top heavily with it after I drizzled
a little oil on the dough.

I would be a little careful with this, though, as I suspect it might be
easy to burn the z'atar.

best-debbie
concord, ma