Re: Non-yeastbreads in the ABM

enkidu@mail.utexas.edu (Enkidu)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 05:39:40 -0600
v097.n010.14
}I was wondering.  If I have a bread recipe that doesn't have yeast in it, can
}I still make it in the abm?  Take for instance the following recipe (which
}BTW is a good one), could I make this in an abm?  Why or why not?
<quickbread recipe snipped>

The bread you're talking about is called a quickbread, aptly named since it
requires no rising periods like yeast bread. Instead of the lengthy
expansion caused by Carbon Dioxide from yeast respiration, the bread is
leavened by an explosive chemical reaction that releases CO2 from the
baking soda. Right away, then, you have several hours wasted during which
the machine thinks your dough is rising. I don't know what this time lag
would actually do to the batter, but I suspect the settling would be rather
unpleasant for the final product. More to the point, I think most ABMs have
a bake cycle of about 50 minutes, so your bread would, according to the
recipe, come out slightly uncooked. Now, some machines do have a
"quickbread" cycle for just this type of concoction, but if it doesn't I
would stick with yeasted breads.

Omar