Spinach Bread (ABM)

enkidu@mail.utexas.edu (Enkidu)
Sun, 12 Jan 1997 15:53:27 -0600
v097.n004.15
About time I stopped lurking, isn't it?

Spinach Bread (ABM)
MMMMMMMMMM
This recipe extracted from no archive other than my own brain. I just like
saying "MMMMMMMMMM".
This mutant grew out of a late-blooming passion for spinach, coupled with a
deep weakness for inappropriately colored foods. I'd always gotten a kick
out of spinach pasta, so I set out to see if the same effect could be
replicated in a loaf of bread. Spinach didn't seem compatible with anything
exotic like rye or sourdough, so I guiltily disinterred the bland, plebeian
old whitebread white bread recipe from my bread machine instruction manual
and produced something with the tang and color of the divine leaf and the
indulgent, satiny texture of Won**r Bread.

1-pound loaf recipe

1/2 cup water
1 cup boiled or steamed spinach *
3 T water
1.5 c. bread flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour **
2 tsp. softened butter ***
1 T sugar
2 tsp. dry non-fat milk solids
1 tsp. salt
1.25 tsp. yeast

1) Combine the spinach (along with a minimal amount of the cooking liquid
if you have it) with 1/2 cup water. Combine stirring and tearing with your
favorite pointed kitchen implements until the spinach is fairly well
shredded and the water is thoroughly green. This will produce a tacky
texture and a marbled inner appearance. If you prefer a crumb that just
_screams_ green, you can use a food processor and puree into a shake
instead.

2) Combine the remaining ingredients in the bread pan as mandated by the
manual gods, and set to bake on "white." (No, I don't think you're so
stupid I have to include this step - there's more to come.)

3) Check in on the dough after about five minutes. Chances are it won't
have the proper consistency, due to the completely unpredictable moisture
contribution of the spinach. It's all right if it's a bit liquidy, but the
ball should be entirely cohesive, take on a smooth coat, and gradually
become less sticky. Add water or flour as necessary. When you're satisfied,
close the lid and leave the machine to its work.

NOTES:

*Vulgar as I are, I just used some thawed frozen spinach, which is about as
soggy as you can get. Progressively fresher varieties will probably require
more vigorous tearing and more added water - I don't know if this could be
adapted to uncooked spinach, but if anyone tries it I'd appreciate an
update (enkidu@micronet.net). I'm currently heading up Project Popeye, to
determine just now much spinach I can cram in there - after which the
recipe will be rechristened with that name.

**The original recipe used 2 cups of white flour, and I suspect you can do
the same.

***So it's not a fat-free recipe! Don't let two lousy teaspoons frighten
you off.

off-the-cuff incompetent caloric information (per loaf):
Kilocalories: 1100  Fat Kcal.: 70