Yeast: instant vs rapid rise

"Joan Mathew" <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 07:45:44 -0500
v096.n070.8
> From: "Ellen C." <ellen@elekta.com>
><snip>
> "Instant" yeast is NOT the same as the "rapid rise" or "quick-rise"
> yeasts. These faster acting yeasts can not, in fact, withstand a
> third or extra-long rise. However, the "instant" yeast can.

Whoa....quick-rise and instant yeasts in the past, and right now I'm
using my Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast (as read directly off the
packet) from Sam's Club.  In cases where the rapid-rise stuff is
used, I have frequently given the breads a third rising and they came
out just fine.  I don't know much about the various strains of
yeasts, etc., but I know that a third rise seems to work OK with most
of the yeasts I use in my kitchen!

> The "instant" doesn't refer to the rising action, but rather to the
> fact that the yeast can be added as a dry ingredient and will
> dissolve when mixed with the other bread ingredients.

That's right, and the rapid-rise yeasts I'm familiar with -- granular
forms -- can also be added as a dry ingredient.  In fact, the
companies who manufacture the rapid-rising products have told me it's
best to add them this way and NOT to proof them.

Incidentally, yeast labelled as "bread machine yeast" is pretty much
the same product as the rapid-rise, a tip given to me by the
companies who manufacture the stuff.

Hope I didn't confuse things further, but just wanted to point out my
experiences,
Joan
cmathew@airmail.net
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/8098/