Re: Bread recipe problem

Marina <thecollector@worldnet.att.net>
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 18:40:53 +0000
v096.n066.12
[[ Marina sent this to me but I don't have a very good answer for her and
knew that someone on list would... - Reggie]]

Reggie:  I wonder if I could ask you a special favor.  I got this recipe
from a friend.  It is so good (flavor) but only makes a 1 lb. loaf.  I
thought simple I'll divide the ingredients and use half again and make a 1
1/2 lb. loaf.  Not so good.  I don't know what happend it was doughy, didn't
rise as well as it should etc.
Here is the orginal, could you please tell me what I need to do to make this
into a 1 1/2 lb. loaf of bread instead of the 1 lb. loaf. This is a bread
machine recipe in a zoe
(is there any other brand, I think not, love it)

Basic White 1 lb loaf

2 c bread flour
2 T sugar
1/2 t salt
1 T butter
1 T milk
3/4 c water
1 t yeast

can be used for flavor bread 1/4 cup parm 1 t onion powder
1/4 cup chopped walnuts and 1 tea. pumpkin pie seasoning

Now here is what I did on 1 1/2 lb. loaf

3 c flour
3 T sugar
3/4 t. salt
1 1/2 T butter
1 1/2 T Milk
1 1/8 c water
1 1/2 t yeast
as I said this was not great, didn't rise very well heavy and doughy.
I would really appreciate any help you could give me.
For your very welcomed help here is an old recipe from my mother in law for
rolls enjoy.
Happy holidays
Marina

Nana's Rich Rolls
family recipe 45 years

Stir to mix, sugar and salt, combine with milk cool to lukewarm
1 cup milk
1/3 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 tea. salt
Soften 2 envelopes of yeast in 1/4 cup of warm water; stir into cooled milk
mixture:

Add 1/2 of sifted flour to milk mixture; add beaten eggs, beat well, add
enough of remaining flour to make
soft dough. Mix thoroughly.

5 cups sifted flour
2 eggs beaten

Turn out on lightly floured board and knead about 10 minutes or till smooth.
Place dough in warm bowl;
brush surface with melted oleo, or oil.  Cover and let rise about 2 hours or
until mixture doubles..  Turn
out on to board and shape into rolls and put on greased cookie sheet or in
muffin tins.  Cover and let rise
1/2 to 3/4 hr. or double in bulk.  Brush with milk.
Bake 375 F. 15 to 20 minutes.