Sourdough French Bread

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Fri, 15 Nov 1996 20:32:25 -0500
v096.n057.12
Today I wanted to make some sourdough french bread but could not find a recipe
that was not unbelievable complicated, so I sort of made this one up as I went
along.

At the risk of sounding boastful, I must say the product was delicious (this is
verified by a wife, 2 daughters and the neighbors down the road) ::)).

If you have some starter on hand, give it a try.  Good!!

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                      Bill's Sourdough French Bread

Recipe By     : Bill Hatcher <bhatcher@gc.net>
Serving Size  : 12   Preparation Time :4:30
Categories    : Breads                           Sourdough
                To/From Breadlist                To/From Eat-L

   6      c             all-purpose flour -- more if needed
   4 1/2  tsp           yeast
   1      tbsp          sugar
   1      tbsp          salt
   1      c             water -- very warm (120F)
   2      c             sourdough starter -- room temperature
   1      tbsp          oil
                        yellow cornmeal
   1                    egg white

Feed your starter at least 12 hours before making bread.

Combine 2 1/2 cups of the flour, yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Add
water, oil and starter and beat 3 minutes with an electric mixer.

Work in additional flour by hand until dough can be handled.  Amount will vary,
depending on consistency of starter used.  Decant dough to a lightly floured
board and knead until smooth, satiny and elastic, about 10 mintues,working in
additional flour in small amounts as needed to keep dough from sticking to board
or hands.

Place in a large, oiled bowl, turning once to coat dough ball; cooking spray
works well for this.  Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place
until doubled, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Punch dough down and divide into either 2 or 4 pieces, depending on size of
loaves desired.  Cover and let rest 10 minutes.

Roll each piece out into a rectangle and roll up from long side, pinching seam
closed and tapering ends.  Place loaves, seam side down,  either in baguette
pans or on a baking sheet which has been oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
Gash top 1/4 inch deep either along the length or diagonally every 2 or 3
inches.  Beat egg white with 1 tbsp water until frothy and brush loaves with it.
 Cover and let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Bake at 375F 20 mintues,  then brush again with egg white and bake an additional
20 minutes.

Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.

Enjoy.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net
Southampton County, Virginia, USA