Muffeletta bread

Laurie Thompson <llt@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
Sun, 13 Oct 1996 15:32:58 -0400 (EDT)
v096.n049.7
I got this recipe off another list a couple of years ago.  I've never made
it so I can't vouch for its authenticity.

MUFFULETTA BREAD

                          Makes 1 loaf...

                          425@F --> 375@F

          1       cup     Warm Water, 110@F
          1       tablespoon      Sugar, Granulated
          1       envelope        Active Dry Yeast (1 Tb, bulk)
          3       cups    Bread Flour
          1 1/2   teaspoons       Salt
          2       tablespoons     Shortening
                          Sesame Seeds

          Combine Water and Sugar in a 2 C. Measuring Cup and stir
          in the Yeast.  Be sure all the yeast is in the water and
          not stuck to the spoon.  Let rest in a warm location
          until foamy, about 10 minutes.

          Combine 3 C. Flour, Salt, and Shortening and pulse 4-5
          times to distribute evenly.  Add Yeast-Water.  Process
          about 5 seconds to JUST form a ball.  Dough should be
          smooth and satiny.  If too dry, add water 1 T. at a time
          and pulse to blend.   If too sticky, add more flour 1 T.
          at a time.  Process 20 seconds to knead.  Lightly oil a
          large bowl and transfer the dough to it, turning to oil
          all sides.  Let rise in a warm place 1 1/2 hrs (until
          doubled).

          Punch down dough and turn out onto a floured board.  Form
          into a flat, round, single loaf about 10" in diameter.
          Place on a greased baking sheet.  Sprinkle with Sesame
          Seeds and press into the loaf.  Cover loosely with
          Plastic Wrap and allow to rise in a warm place 1 hr,
          until almost doubled.

          Place rack in the center of the oven and preheat to
          425@F.  Add loaf and bake for 10 minutes, then reduce to
          375@F and continue baking 25 minutes.  It's done when it
          sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

          Cool COMPLETELY before slicing.  Slice horizontally.

Laurie in DC, who has lurked for many months and makes bread both by hand
and by ABM