3 quick and 1 slow

Cherie Ambrosino <Cherie_Ambrosino@cch.com>
10 Oct 96 11:22:48
v096.n047.20
Hi folks - as I was unpacking more cookbooks I found a better homes and
gardens"favorites" from 1967 - it didn't have too many yeast breads but here's
one for rolls and a few interesting looking quickies:

MOLLASSES BRAN CORN BREAD
1/2 c shortening
1/2 sugar
2 eggs
1/2 c mollasses
1 c milk
1 c sifted all purpose flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c yellow corn meal
1 1/2 c whole bran

Cream shortening and sugar, beat in eggs one at a time and then stir in
mollasses and milk - sift together the rst and add, stirring till just
blended.  Pour into greased 9x9x2 pan and bake at 375 for 30 minutes.

AIRY CHEESE ROLLS
1 Package dry yeast
1/4 warm water
1 3/4 c scalded milk
4 oz sharp process american cheese [1 cup] [although I bet regular cheddar
would be good too]
1/4 c sugar
2 Tb shortening
1 tsp salt
4 c sifted all purpose flour
1 beaten egg
1/2 c corn meal

Soften yeast in water.  Combine milk, cheese, sugar, shortening and salt and
stir until cheese melts - cool to lukewarm.  Add two cupsflour and beat 2
minutes at medium, add egg, yeast, cornmeal and rest of flour - beat 2
minutes.  Cover and let rise till doubled.  Stir down and fill greased 2 1/2
inch muffin pans halfway full.  Let rise till double again.  Bake at 375 about
20 minutes.  Makes 24

CHEDDAR BRAN MUFFINS
1 1/4 buttermilk or sourcream
1 c whole bran
1/4 c shortening
1/3 c sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 c sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp slat
1/4 tsp baking soda
4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar [1 cup]
Pour buttermilk over bran and leave till softened.  Meanwhile, cream shortening
and sugar till light, beat in egg. Sift together the rest of the dry except
cheese and add to creamed mixture, alternating with the bran - milk mixture.
Stir in cheese.  Fill greased muffin pans 2/3 full, bake in 400 oven about 30
minutes.  Makes 12

GLAZED LEMON NUT BREAD
1/4 c butter
3/4 sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps grated lemon peel
2 c sifted flour
2 1/2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 c milk
1/4 chopped walnuts
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tb sugar
Cream together butter and 3/4 sugar.  Add eggs and lemon peel, beat well.  Sift
flour baking powder and salt and add to creamed mixutre alternately with milk.
Beat until smooth.  Stir in nuts.  Pour into greasted 8.5x4.5x2.5 inch loaf pan
and bake 350 for 50-55 minutes or until done.  Let cool in pan 10 minutes then
spoon mixture of lemon juice and 2 tb sugar over top.  Remove and cool.

I know they're mostly quick breads - but they looked pretty good and I'm sure
those who'd like to can make appropriate substitutions  for eggs, shortening
etc.  Enjoy!