a good book and some sample recipies

Cherie Ambrosino <Cherie_Ambrosino@cch.com>
1 Oct 96 11:03:01
v096.n045.18
 Hi  - its been a while since I've either written or baked [although I eagerly
cut and paste all the recipies you're so kind to supply!] - we've recently
completed a move into a "fixer-upper" - we're still fixin' but at least I can
get to my kitchen now - and I've finally purchased a heavy duty kitchen aid
mixer [angels singing, fireworks!!]  Before all you bread machine bakers click
delete - I used to use only a machine, then after a few years tried hand baking
[the dog had dragged my r2d2 off the counter, so it still worked, but it was a
little bent, and needed to be fiddled with constantly]  and never went back to
the machine - however, I'm frantically busy and quite lazy so I've been waiting
to have the space and save some money to buy this mixer - hurray!  Anyway - in
unpacking I found a misfiled bread book I haven't seen in a while and once
again was marveling at how great it was!!! So I thought I'd tell you about it
and give you a few samples - its all for hand baking, but if you have a
machine, simply divide the recipe until the flour is the right amount for your
machine and add any extra water, conditioner etc that you normally do when
using a recipe not specifically for your machine - if you have a mixer or food
processor do you're kneading - well, you probably already know how to convert
things

About the book:

 The Bread Winners Cookbook, by Mel London [I think I've seen some other of his
cookbooks in the stores, but never this one - its a $1 garage sale purchase -
treasure!]  Its 200 recipes by 45 bakers[so it says on the cover]  Many of the
recipies are with whole grain flours, there's a whole section for each of these
- how to bake bread, troubleshooting, sourdough breads, triticale breads [I
think it was fairly new when he wrote this] and salt rising breads - and it has
great stories - he basically travelled the country and met bakers everywhere
and prints their recipies and their tales - they're terrific - I've made a few
[pre-move] and they turned out great - but all of them were tested by Rodale
Kitchens for the book [if you're not aware Rodale are the folks who write
prevention magazine and lots of great and trustworthy books on ie health,
organic gardening, home stuff and who knows what else!!]  The official
publisher sems to be Fireside books[Simon and Schuster]  1979, and the ISBN is
0-671-47051-5.  Find it if you can!

And now the recipies!!

TOMATO QUICK BREAD
one loaf

2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 Tb baking powder
pinch paking soda
1 tsp salt[optional]
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed oregano
1 tsp basil
1/2 c shredded mozzarella
1/4 c grated parmesan
1 1/2 c peeled chopped fresh tomatoes
1/3 to 1/2 c milk
2 eggs
1Tb honey
1/4 c oil

Mix dry ingredients in a bowl, drain tomatoes, pouring liquid ina measuring
cup, add enough milk
to make 2/3 c liquid.  Blend liqiud with eggs, oil and honey, then stir into
dry until moist, add tomatoes and pur batter into well greased 4x8 inch loaf
pan - place in preheated 350 oven for 60-0 minutes [cover with a foil tent if
it starts to brown earlier - but keep baking until bottom taps hollow.  Cool
ten minutes IN THE PAN and cool throughly on rack before slicing - keeps well
in frig or freezer.

WHOLE WHEAT ENGLISH MUFFIN
1 dozen

1 package yeast
1/4 tsp honey
1 1/4 c warm water
3-4 c whole wheat flour
1 small red potato, boiled and mashed
cornmeal

Dissolve yeast and honey in 1/4 c water and proof till bubbly.  Add rest of
ingredients, mix well and knead until dough is smooth and elastic.  Divide into
a dozen pieces and make each a circle about 2-3 inces across.  Place on baking
sheet dusted with cornmeal, cover lightly and let rise in warm stop 1 or 1 1/2
hours - bake 6-8 minutes at 375

ALL PROTEIN BREAD
3 large loaves
1 package yeast
4 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 c nonfat dry milk
1/4 c honey
1/4 c molasses
9-9 1/2 c whole wheat flour
3/4 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c sesame seekds
2 eggs
3/4 tsp salt [optional]
1/2 c olive oil

Dissolve yeast in 1/4 c water.  In separte bowl mix dry milk with 1 3/4 c water
[beat to dissolve if needed], addhoney and molasses and then the rest of the
water [2c].  Mix in 5 c flour slowly, cover with damp cloth and let rise 45
minutes for sponge.  Mix in seeds and let stand 10 minutes so seeds can soak up
some liquid.  Mix in eggs, salt and oil, knead in the rest of the flour to
make  a dough that barely sticks to your fingers.  Place in well greased pans,
cover and rise about1 hour.  Bake in 325 oven 45 minutes or till done.

DOUBLE TRITICALE BREAD
2 med loaves

1 c triticale grain
2 pk dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
1/2 tsp honey
3 c unbleached white flour
3 c triticale flour
1/2 tsp salt [optional]
1/2 c chopped, toasted sunflower seeds
1 Tb honey
1 1/2 c water

Cook triticale grain [like oats] 15 to 20 minutes and chop finely in blender or
processor when cool.  Proof yeast meanwhile in 1/2 c warm water and 1/2 tsp
honey.  Put everything in a bowl and mix to make a crmbly dough.  KInead 8 to
ten minutes [the more triticale flour you add, the more dense it will feel].
Place in greased bown and turn once to coat top - cover and place inwarm spot
to rise till double [1 hr].  Turn out and knead a couple of minutes - divide
into two loaves - place these in well greased 8x4 inch pans and let rise again
about 45 minutes.  Bake 375 for 45 to 50 minutes or until done

WHEW!  I'll send some more next week - and report on the mixer's success - now
- who's got tips for me on either the mixer or grinding flour [so far I'm using
a large electric coffee grinder] which I'll get back to when my King Arthur
shipment arrives [I'm so excited about the mixer I went out and bought regular
flour at the store - who can wait for mail order!!]  Enjoy - Cherie