RECIPE: Communion Bread

"James Porter" <porterj@lbm.com>
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 20:56:38 +0000
v096.n040.12
I am the pianist/organist for a United Methodist Church in Lawton,
Oklahoma.  Being newly married (my 3-month anniversary is today!!!)
and a new Pampered Chef Consultant (with my new bride!), I thought I
would offer to make the communion bread for this Sunday's worship
service.  A few weeks ago, I obtained the following recipe from a
colleague of mine.  This recipe produces the most wonderful,
flavorful bread I've ever had at a church!  Obviously, it could be
used anywhere else too.  Enjoy!!

Communion Bread

3 1/2 cups bread flour (General Mills "Better for Bread")
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup honey
1 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons butter (margarine will work, but not as well)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons yeast (I prefer Red Star)

Dissolve honey and water.  The warmer they are, the easier they'll
mix.  Add the yeast, whisk it all together, and set aside.

Blend the flours and salt, and melt the butter in a separate dish.
Once melted, add the butter to the yeast/honey/water mixture.  Whisk
together.

Add liquid to dry ingredients and knead down on a floured board.  You
could also mix the ingredients with a Kitehcn-Aid mixer (dough hook
attachment), then transfer to a floured board.  When finished, the
dough should be very soft, but not too sticky.  Let rise until
doubled.

Punch down, knead on a floured board, and divide into two loaves.
Shape into cylinders, or round balls, or whatever shape you prefer.
Let rise until 2 to 2 1/2 times original size.  Score if desired, or
glaze with one beaten egg.  Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.

This bread works best when cooked with stoneware.
James Porter - Pampered Chef Consultant
I will send a free catalog to anyone
interested in kitchen products by mail
from The Pampered Chef.  Just e-mail