Re: New Owner ABM Questions...

"Bill Hatcher" <bhatcher@gc.net>
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 10:57:28 -0400
v096.n040.5
My comments are interspersed appropriately in the original message.

= = = = =

> From:          bread-bakers-errors@lists.best.com
> Subject:       Digest bread-bakers.v096.n039
> To:            bread-bakers@lists.best.com

> From: "Andy K. in San Francisco" <scooter@global.california.com>
> Subject: New Owner ABM Questions...
> Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:47:39 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Hi Folks:
> Last week I finally bought a low-end "simple" bread machine, Salton/Maxim
> Simply Bread Machine (BB2T) with 8 settings. Well it may not be a Zoi 15A
> but this is good to get along the learning curve.
>
> #1 Does anyone have any specific to this machine _hints and help_? So far
> I'm doing fine...had to use the chop stick trick to get the paddle out a
> few times (thanks! it works just fine.).

Your usual source for machine-specific information on the less-than-common
machines just about has to be the manufacturer.

> #2 I thought if I am to follow the "Worldwide Sourdoughs from ABM" book
> #by
> Donna German and Ed Woods...I have to let the bread rise in the pan for 8
> hours...I could be making and baking another loaf during this long rise.

Try the following sourdough ABM recipe.  I am not a purist, but 8 hours
just seems like a lot of time to spend for a single loaf of bread :) .

- - - - -

                     *  Exported from  MasterCook  *

                          Sourdough Bread ABM #1

Recipe By     : Sourdough WWW Site
Categories    : Bread Machine                    Sourdough
                Sent To Breadlist

   1      c             Sourdough starter
     1/3  c             Milk
   2      tbsp          Butter, margarine or oil
   2      tbsp          Sugar
   2 1/2  tsp           Salt
   3      c             Bread flour -- adjust as needed
   2      tsp           Yeast

Put everything in the machine in the order suggested by your manufacturer.

Use regular cycle.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

> I called Salton about an extra paddle and bread pan. They wanted $7 for
> the paddle and $28 for the bread pan. Seems a bit much (especially when I
> bought the machine for $53.00 from Macy's on 50% closeout). Any other
> sources than Salton for the paddle and bread pan? For $18 dollars more I
> could have a 2nd machine (Yes, I am very addicted-type personality).

With a new machine, I would not be too concerned with a new paddle/pan.
My Regal has been chugging along with hard use for a long time with the
originals.  Like anything else, they will eventually wear out; at that
time I will decide whether to repalce the parts or the whole machine.
Relax. ::))

> Last week I started to make a sourdough loaf, but the dough wouldn't form
> into a ball, no matter how many tablespoons of flour I added. It would
> adhire to the top of the pan and then look like a tornado, turning and
> turning, and not go anywhere. Yes it looked like the tornado in "Wizard
> of Oz."
>
> 3) Is the any reason the dough did this? what could I have done to
> prevent it OR deal with it (other than throwing the mixture back into the
> mother? Which I did!).

Certainly sounds like too much liquid for the amount of dry ingredients;
probably should have added more flour to compensate, but it sounds like
the recipe may be messed up.

I would not put the mixture back in the starter; depending on what you
had put in the batter, you may have contaminated the starter and there is
no knowing what it will taste like in the future.  I feed my own (home
made) starter only with plain milk or water and flour, on a 1 to 1 ratio.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, so if you already know this,
please forgive me: The way to handle starter is to keep it in a
non-reactive container (I use quart-size plastic peanut butter or
mayonaisse  jars with a plastic lid), keeping about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of
starter in the jar in the refrigerator.  About 12 hours before you intend
using it, take it out of the refrigerator and feed it, using equal
amounts of water or milk and flour.  The amount will depend on what your
recipe calls for, and if for some reason you are going to make a really
large amount of something, you may have to put the starter in a larger
container and feed it there.  After feeding it, let the starter set at
room temperature until you use it, but not much over 12 hours.  After
using the amount  starter you need, return 1 to 1/2 cups to the
refrigerator in the jar to serve the next time.  The little yeast plants
go dormant in the cool temperature of the refrigerator, but they are ready
to go to work for you again when warmed up and fed. :)

> 4) Are there any good suggestions for maintaining several strains of
> starters at one time? Right now I have Carl's Oregon Trail, one from
> Baker Bob's, one from Maggie of New Orleans, and I tried to start a wild
> one.

Keep each one in a sealable jar in the refrigerator.  Handle as above.

> 5) Lastly, does the sourdough have any effect on the non-stick finish of
> the ABM breadpan? Should I be letting the dough rise for 8 hours as
> suggested in the little nitty gritty book on worldwide sourdoughs?

The non-stick finish in my ABM pan is Teflon (c) and appears to be fairly
impervious to about anything I put in it; I wouldn't make a recipe that
requires that much time in the machine anyway, but that is just personal
preference.  I really wouldn't worry about it.

> If you can respond to the group digest and cc: me a copy, I'd appreciate
> it very much, thank you.
>
> thanks all, take care,
>
> scooter@california.com
> andy k. in San Francisco

I am by no means an expert on sourdough, and there may be many who
disagree with my methods, but it works for me.

For list members: Sorry for the length of the post; couldn't think of a
better/shorter way to do it.

Regards.

Bill Hatcher
bhatcher@gc.net