Stu's question re storing bulk yeast

Joan Mathew <cmathew@iadfw.net>
Sun, 01 Sep 1996 18:38:22 -0500
v096.n038.3
>Subject: thanks again and question
>Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 10:18:53 +0000

>The question is how to store bulk yeast. When I needed yeast I saw
>that small jar was $4.00 in grocery and 2 lbs at Sam's was $3.00.
>This did not take any higher math (although Intel pentium said buy
>the jar ;->) to figure out which id better deal
>but how do you store the opened package? Can it be frozen?, just
>tightly sealed jar in refig? What is best way?

Stu,
  Once you open the big package of bulk yeast, you can put a small amount
for current usage into a small airtight container in the refrigerator.  I
use an old jar that came with yeast, but you could use anything I suppose,
as long as it's airtight.  The remainder of the yeast should be stored in an
airtight container as well, but I generally pop that into the freezer.  The
most important factor here is that you keep out any moisture from the yeast!
Putting the yeast into cooler temperatures like this will tend to prolong
its life.  When I empty the refrigerator container, I just refill it from
the freezer supply and continue the cycle.

Hope this helps,
Joan
cmathew@iadfw.net
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1514
USDA gardening zone 7b, just north of Dallas, TX