recipes: summer quick breads

LIR119@delphi.com
Sat, 17 Aug 1996 17:39:06 -0500 (EST)
v096.n031.15
The following are two of my favorite summer quick breads, a change of pace
from yeast and bread machine baking. These are so unusual and quite
delicious that I don't think you folks would mind having them and filing
them under the subdirectory of quickbreads!

JOAN'S CANTALOPE NUT BREAD
this is a gem with a subtle cantalope flavor perfect to serve with cream
cheese and fresh fruit
Yield: 1, 8 x 4 loaf

1 3/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts( walnuts etc. )
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup mashed ripe cantalope puree

Mix flour, baking powder,  soda and salt and sift 3 times. add nuts to flour
mixture. Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. add egg and blend well.
Add cantelope pulp. Add flour mixture and nuts, 1/2 cup at a time and
blending well after each addition. Turn into a greased and flour 8 x 4 inch
loaf pan. bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes or until tested done.
Cool, wrap and let mellow overnight before serving. Nuts may be omitted.

JOAN'S LETTUCE BREAD
This is quite an agreeable recipe in flavor and a good way to use up extra
lettuce. I dont reccommend the bitter kind of lettuce though.Besides
homegrown garden lettuce, Ive even used storebought iceberg!
Yield: 2, 8 x 4 loaves

1 3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 1/2 Tbs lemon juice
3 cups flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups finely chopped lettuce( I chop it by hand with a sharp knife )it
shouldnt be a puree, I usually do a fine julliene cut
3/4 cups chopped walnuts

Beat sugar and oil and beat in eggs and lemon juice. sift dry ingredients
and add to first mixture. Stir in the lettuce and nuts. Pour into greased 8
x 4 loaf pans. Bake in a preheated 350 oven about 50 minutes or tested done.
Bread freezes very well.

Joan,"Flour Power"

`[1;36;43mRainbow V 1.18.3 for Delphi - Registered