Gourmet Magazine.

"Miles, John W. (3672)" <J.MILES@CGNET.COM>
Sat, 11 May 1996 08:53:00 -0700 (PDT)
v096.n012.6
Greetings:

I am just getting to a bunch of back issues of Bread Bakers' Digest after a
longish trip.  I was interested in the mention by Martha (issue 005) of an
article in Gourmet Magazine on sourdough bread.  I would be more than
grateful if some kind soul could send me a photocopy of this article (Gourmet
Magazine is not readily available here in Colombia, particularly back
issues), or even just the address of Gourmet Magazine where I might negociate
a copy of the March issue.  Many thanks!

I'm getting to be a bit fanatical about sourdough.  The great frustration is
the general lack of real information on the subject in any bread book I have
seen (and I've seen a few).  I have recently discovered that there is a
substantial literature on the microbiology of sourdough, though most of this
is in German (which, unfortunately, I do not read).  There is enough in
English for one to discover that most of what appears on sourdough in bread
books is pretty much nonsense, or at least sorely incomplete.

And, Martha: go ahead and invest the time in sourdough.  Once you get used to
it you'll be very reluctant to go back to "store-bought" yeast.

Best regards,
John Miles

John W. Miles                 Tel: (57-2) 445-0000 (Colombia)
C.I.A.T.                           (415) 833-6625 (USA, direct)
Apartado Aereo 6713
Cali, COLOMBIA                Fax: (57-2) 445-0273 (Colombia)
                                   (415) 833-6626 (USA, direct)
Email: <j.miles@cgnet.com>