Help! - Yeast Question

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Sat, 23 Mar 96 04:48:10 -0600 (CST)
v006.n086.2
>From: "Sherry Barwick" <BARWICK@DD.csc.peachnet.edu>
>Date:          Wed, 20 Mar 1996 14:39:33 EST
>Subject:       Help! - Yeast Question
>
>I'm a new bread machine owner and all this talk of yeast has me
>confused and I think I'm goofed on my latest purchase.  I headed off
>to Sam's after hearing after the good deals on yeast there.  I
>purchased two 16 oz. packages of Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast
>for $3.46.  I thought I got a great deal until I got into the car and
>began to read the label which says "for food service".  Have I bought
>yeast that I can't use in my bread machine?  It has this lengthy
>conversion table on the side which makes no sense to me but I think
>the fact that it's "instant" active dry yeast is important.

Sherry,
  I'm going to take a wild guess on the issue of the label "for food
service"...remember, this is ONLY A GUESS!  I suspect that the label
indicates you've bought yeast intended for baking purposes rather than for
other purposes, such as brewing alcoholic beverages.  That type of yeast is
known as brewer's yeast.  I think you're OK on this issue.

  Since I'm not acquainted with the package you're talking about, I have no
idea about the conversion table on the side....what kind of measurements is
it going into???  If you give us a brief example perhaps we can help to
answer this further....or maybe somebody already knows what you're looking at.

Just taking a wild guess on this one...
Joan