Re: Red Star Yeast

"Natalie Frankel" <Natalie.Frankel@mixcom.com>
Mon, 26 Feb 1996 20:31:15 -0600 (CST)
v006.n078.10
On Tue, 20 Feb 1996, David Kingsley asked if anyone knew where to write to
Red Star yeast for mail order purchases.

I live in Milwaukee where Red Star is made, so I called the company today
and spoke with Lucy of the marketing department. This was no easy task, as
there was no consumer number nor 800 # in the phone book so I just called
the corporate number listed in the book.  I was transferred 3 times and
finally I was transferred to Lucy's voice mail so I could leave a message
for her to return my call.  I thought that was very interesting (especially
since later I got the consumer 800 # from her). Anyway...

The mail order service has been discontinued and
she said they would like us to purchase our yeast at the grocery store or
a wholesale club (the latter where you can buy it in 1-2 lb. bulk packages).
She said if your local grocer doesn't carry it, ASK. They should be meeting
the consumers' needs and know that we will shop elsewhere if they don't
carry what we need. (I would also like to suggest your local natural food
store, as I believe they have access to ordering in bulk - at least the one
pound packages.  It's certainly worth a try if you're having trouble
locating it.)

For individual or 3-strip packages purchased at the grocery store, just
observe the expiration date to ensure freshness. For bulk packages, make
sure the package is hard as a rock when you purchase it. Pour into a glass
jar with a tight fitting lid as much as you will use in a month and store
it in the back of the fridge. Wrap the rest of the package (in its original
packaging), secure it with several rubber bands and it will last in the
freezer for up to 6 months.  When replenishing the refrigerator jar, work
as quickly as possible so the frozen yeast doesn't thaw and refreeze.

If you have consumer questions or need help with baking with yeast, their
consumer number is 1-800-445-4746.

Natalie Frankel
Milwaukee, WI
<Natalie.Frankel@mixcom.com>