Potato Rolls & Bread

Sally Eisenberg <sparky@netgate.net>
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 09:38:22 -0800
v006.n070.12
 Hi everyone,

I to enjoy this list a great deal. Here are some potato recipes. I have not
had the chance to make any of the recipes, but they sound great.

I have the Tupperware bread boxes  and I like them a lot. I also use the plastic
bowl covers with the elastic sewn in and use these to cover the cut end of
the bread. This keeps it from getting dried out even in the bread box. I
call them little hats for the bread. Sounds silly but works wonderfully.

Regarding gluten flour I use 3 tablespoons for all my bread machine recipes with
fine results. I measure my flour by using a small scoop to lightly fill my
measuring cup  to over flowing and then use a flat edge knife to leavel the top.
This has worked well for me no matter what kind of bread I making in  the
bread machine or my kitchen aid mixer.

Thanks to all for the great recipes and useful information, this is a great
sharing list.

Sally

                   *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                       Potato Icebox Rolls  (1954)

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 36   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Rolls/Bisc.

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
     3/4  pound         baking potatoes -- peeled and diced
   1      package       active dry yeast
     1/2  cup           water -- warmed
   1      cup           milk -- warmed
     1/2  cup           shortening
   2      large         eggs
     1/3  cup           sugar
   1 1/2  teaspoons     salt
   4      cups          all-purpose flour
   1 1/2  cups          all-purpose flour

1- Place 3/4 pound baking potatoes peeled and diced and enough water to
cover in saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover
and simmer 15 to 20 minutes until tender. Drain. Press through ricer, food
mill or seive.

2- Dissolve 1 pkg. active dry yeast in 1/2 cup  warm water ( 105 degrees F
to 115 degress F ), let stand 5 minutes until foamy. Heat 1 cup milk and
1/2 cup vegetable shortening in small saucepan over medium heat until
bubbles form around edge of pan, remove from heat. Cool slightly.

3- Beat 2 large eggs, 1/3 cup sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoon salt in  mixer bowl
at medium speed. Add yeast mixture, milk mixture and riced potatoes; beat
until well blended. Gradually beat in 4 cups all purpose flour. Stir in 1
1/2 cups more flour with wooden spoon.

4- Turn dough onto floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes until smooth
and elastic, kneading in 1/2 to 1 cup flour if needed. Place dough in
large greased bowl turning to coat top. Cover dough with heavy plate or
plastic wrap and  refrigerate overnight or up to 48 hours.

5- About 2 1/2 hours before baking time, punch down dough. Grease 3 dozen
2 1/2-inch muffin pan cups  or 3 cookie sheets. Divide dough into 36 equal
pieces; roll each piece into a ball and place each into prepared
muffin-pan or on cookie sheets. Cover with clean kitchen towels and let
rise in warm draft-free place until doubled in size 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

6- Heat oven to 425 degrees F. Bake rolls 12 to 15 minutes until golden
brown.

NOTES: Per serving; One roll 135 calories, 4.5g fat, 29g carb.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                          Potato Sweet Biscuits

Recipe By     :
Serving Size  : 20   Preparation Time :0:00
Categories    : Rolls/Bisc.

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   2      medium        sweet potatoes -- peeled and diced
   4      cups          all-purpose flour
     1/2  cup           light brown sugar -- packed
   5      teaspoons     baking powder
   1      teaspoon      salt
  10      Tablespoons   margarine
     1/3  cup           milk

1- In  3-quart saucepan over high heat, heat sweet-potato dices and enough
water to cover to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 12 to 15
minutes until potatoes are fork tender. Drain the potatoes; mash and set
aside to cool.

2- Preheat oven to 425 degress F. In large bowl, combine flour, brown
sugar, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender cut in margarine until
mixture resembles couarse crumbs. Stir in milk and cooled mashed sweet
potatoes; mix until just combined.

3- On lightly floured surface, pat dough into an 8 1/2-inch square. Cut
dough in half. Cut each  half into 10 equal pieces. Place biscuits,
2-inches apart, on 2 ungreased large cookie sheets.

4- Place cookie sheets on 2 oven racks; bake biscuits 12 to 15 minutes
until golden, rotating cookie sheets between upper and lower racks halfway
thruogh baking time.

Serve biscuits warm. Or cool on wire rack, store in tightly covered
container to use within 1 day or wrap in foil and freeze to use within 2
weeks.

NOTES: Per serving: One biscuit; 200 calories. 6g fat, 33g carb.

                   - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

                    *  Exported from  MasterCook II  *

                            Dusty Potato Bread

Recipe By     :
Categories    : Bread

- --------  ------------  --------------------------------
   2      cups          potato water -- warmed
   1      package       active dry yeast
   3      Tablespoons   sugar
   1      Tablespoon    salt
   3      cups          unbleached all purpose flour
   2      Tablespoons   shortening -- melted
   2 1/2  cups          unbleached all purpose flour
   2      large         potatoes -- diced

 Combine yeast with warm potato water and let foam.in large mixing bowl.
Stir in sugar,salt and 3 cups  flour. Beat well to develop gluten. Stir in
 cooled melted shortening . Add remaining 2 1/2 to 3 cups flour gradually.

Turn dough out on a floured surface and knead 8 to 10 minutes.   Place in
a greased bowl, turning  dough once to grease the top. Cover and let rise
until doubled in bulk, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Knead dough down in bowl. Divide dough in half. Shape into balls and place
in well-greased rounded pans. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, 45
to 60 minutes. Before baking, dust loaves lightly with flour.

Makes 2 loaves.

Bake at 400 degrees F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool on wire racks.

Lou&Sally Eisenberg
sparky@netgate.net