Useful life of yeast??

tshih@ucsd.edu (Timothy Shih)
Mon, 5 Feb 1996 17:19:28 -0800
v006.n068.9
Hello, I'm a newcomer to this list. Sorry if this has been asked before. I
have a bread machine and use the large,(1 lb.) package of active dry yeast
(mostly Red Star).  My question is, how come when I open the package, the
yeast potency is very good and with every loaf I make after opening the
package, it goes down hill. It seems like I have to use more and more to
achieve the same amount of rise.  After a month or two it seems like the
yeast is unuseable.  And yes I do store it in the fridge.  I used to think
that using the little packets were too expensive, but now wondering....

Any help would be appreciated,

Tim Shih