converting recipes for KitchenAid

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Sat, 27 Jan 1996 08:17:27 -0600 (CST)
v006.n063.1
Hello all,
  Someone asked about converting bread machine recipes so that they can be
used with a KitchenAid.  I use my KitchenAid for making most of my bread, so
I thought I'd offer a few suggestions...these are not scientific, just
things that seem to work for me:

1.  I am usually able to double a bread machine recipe in my KitchenAid,
since I have the 5-quart model.  This generally yields 2 regular-sized
loaves, or you can make rolls or buns out of it if you wish.

2.  Sometimes I have to cut back a little on the flour as the dough gets a
little dry...you'll have to experiment, but sometimes I cut back 1/2 to 1
cup, depending on the recipe.  The humidity in the air will tend to affect
this, too.

3.  My general procedure for making bread dough in the KitchenAid is this:

Add all the dry ingredients except for 1 cup of flour and the yeast.  Mix
thoroughly with flat beater.  Add yeast; mix thoroughly once again.  Add
liquid ingredients (e.g., water, honey, molasses).  With the flat beater
hook *still on*, mix on slow speed until dough starts to form a ball and/or
dough is extremely thick and difficult to blend with beater.  Change to
dough hook and knead on slow speed for approx. 7-9 mins.  If dough is sticky
during first 5 minutes of kneading, add additional flour in 1/4 cup
increments.  You may finish off dough by hand if you wish, but I never have
any problems with how the KitchenAid kneads it.

  I hope I haven't left anything out above...haven't had my morning coffee
yet... :)  Please feel free to email me if you have questions.

Joan
cmathew@iadfw.net