bread digest answers

LoisCon@aol.com
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 16:19:50 -0500
v006.n059.8
 Sherry asked where to buy cracked wheat. Here are some possible sources:
Bob's Red Mill 1-800-553-2258.
Jaffe Brothers 1-619-749-1133
Walnut Acres 1-800-433-3998

You can also substitute bulger..which is cracked wheat that has been
parboiled. It will absorb your liquids faster. You can soften it by soaking.
Contact me by E-mail for more instructions which we have in our book, The
Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints.

Debbie asked what kind of flour to use for a yeast-raised coffee cake. I
would advise all-purpose flour. (assuming this is not being done in a bread
machine)

Therese asked about programmable bread machines for low or gluten-free
breads. The only true programmable bread machine is the Zojirushi.  It also
has a pin on the side which makes for superior kneading which is helpful with
these recipes. The West Bend Bakers Choice has a cycle in which you can
extend the rising time but not the kneading time.

A good book for these recipes is: Easy Bread Making For Special Diets by
Nicolette Dumke. This is available through King Arthur Flour E-mail me for
more sources at LoisCon@AOL.com

Michael Greeenberg asked about getting his sourdough more "sour". Some
suggestions.
1. Use non-fat or low-fat milk in your starter.
2.Another suggestion is to take out the starter the night before.
3.What we do with our sourdough recipe in Bread Machine Magic is to start it
the night before. We take half the flour called for in our recipe, add  to it
the starter at room temperature, and  the water. Mix well,cover, and let sit
in a warm place for 12-24 hours till sour and bubbly.

Hope this helps. Lois

Jenka asked how to make the hole left in the bread from the bread machine
smaller. After the last punchdown and before the last rising (this varies
with machines),pull the dough out, remove the paddle, and put the dough back
into the bread pan. This will solve the problem.

Zoji owners can now buy a Finish pan from Irwin Franzel. This pan will do a
bread with no holes.
You can cut the last size in quarters to minimize the holes. We have found
different machines make different size holes!

Bonnie asked why she can't use all purpose flour with the bread machine. You
can Bonnie, but you will have to add gluten, 1 1/2 teaspoons per cup of
flour. Bread flour has a higher gluten percentage. Your bread will not rise
as high with all-purpose flour.

Gluten is a protein. You can find it at health food stores,or at places like
King Arthur, in a box, and in bulk. It is a key element in yeast breads. Use
as directed on the box. If bought in bulk, use up to 1 tablespoon per cup of
flour. It is usually used in whole grain breads and not in white breads.
Don't confuse vital wheat gluten with gluten flour.

Bonnie also asked if she could make a bread without salt or sugar. No Bonnie
you need a minimal amount of salt. Sugar provides food for the yeast but you
can use diastatic malt powder as a substitute.

Bonnie asked what proofing yeast means. It is a test to see if the yeast is
active, or good.

I don't like measuring either, but baking is precise Bonnie, and becsuse the
bread machine takes over and has timed cycles, measurements do have to be
precise. A bit more yeast won't hurt as you found out...but often a
tablespoon or two of liquid can change the whole recipe.

Sheila asked for a french bread recipe that would work. We like to make our
french bread as a dough and finish it up in the oven. We have heard that
Donna German's bread machine book has a good french bread in it. Contact me
by Email and I may be able to find it by then.

Diane asked about her rolls that came out too hard. Firstly, you never gave
us the recipe, but you could need more fat in it. To rise them, try a warm
oven (no higher than 200x) for one minute. Then turn off the oven. You also
may be baking the rolls at too high a temperature.

 May I offer some rolls from one of our books Bread Machine Magic. Email me
for some more  recipes.
BUTTERHORN ROLLS
1 1/2 POUND                       1 POUND IN ()

3/4 cup milk for Welbilt/         (1/2) (add 1
DAK add 2 more tablespoons)     tablespoon for Welbilt
1 egg                             (1)
3 cups all purpose flour          (2)
1/3 cup oil                       (1/2)
1/3 cup sugar                     (1/4)
1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons Red Star     (1 1/2)
active dry yeast
1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter   (1)
or margarine

Place all ingredients except melted butter in bread pan, select Dough Setting
and press Start.
When dough has risen long enough, the machine will beep.  Turn
off bread machine, remove bread pan, and turn out dough onto a floured
countertop or cutting board.  Shape dough into a log.

For 1 1/2 POUND

With a sharp knife, divide dough into 3 pieces, roll each piece
into a ball.

FOR 1 POUND
With a sharp knife, divide dough into 2 pieces;roll each piece
into a ball.

With a rolling pin, roll each ball, one at a time, into a 9 inch
 circle.  With a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, divide each circle
 into 8 wedges, as if cutting a pizza.  Staring at the wide end roll
up each wedge toward the point.  Place rolls on an ungreased
baking sheet, point side underneath.  Cover and let rise in a warm
oven 30 to 45 minutes until doubled.
 (Hint: to warm oven slightly,turn oven on Warm
  setting for 1 minute then turn it off,)
and place covered rolls in oven to rise
 (Remove sheet from oven to preheat.)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Brush rolls lightly with melted butter.  Bake
for 12 to 15 minutes until golden.  Remove from oven and serve warm

1 1/2 pound dough yields 24 rolls
1 pound dough yields 16 rolls.

>From Bread Machine Magic by Linda Rehberg and Lois Conway, St.Martin's Press.

Make these once and they will become favorites.  The dough is so easy to
handle.  They are rich and tender.

If you need more information please contact me at LoisCon@AOL.com
Thanks you, Lois Conway, co-author with Linda Rehberg of Bread Machine Magic
and The Bread Machine Magic Book of Helpful Hints