SourDough Starter Question

"terry (t.l.) capps" <capps@bnr.ca>
Mon, 15 Jan 1996 10:25:00 -0500
v006.n058.27
Hi,

I'm trying to make the Red Grape Sour Dough starter
that is in Julia Child's Cooking with Master Cooks.

The first stage is allowing the flour/water/grapes
to sit for 6 days, stirring daily.  I did that.

Yesterday, I transfered the mixture to a clean container,
and added 1 cup flour and 1 cup water.  The mixture
was supposed to bubble up in 3 to 4 hours.  Well, I
only saw about 4 bubbles after 5 hours.  I covered
and placed in refrigerator as per directions.

I have two more feedings to go before the starter is
ready for use.  But I'm not sure everything is working
right....  The starter does smell sour - like vinegar.

Is that how the starter should smell?  Any other hints
on things to look for to know if the starter is ok?

Thanks for any advice!

Terry Capps
capps@bnr.ca
Raleigh, NC