* Reply to msg originally in Bread (machine) List
Marianne Hu, citing the Rules of Acquisition to All, said:
ow> From: Marianne Hu <firstname.lastname@example.org>
ow> Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 12:24:54 -0500 (EST)
ow> Subject: Milk in microwave
ow> Bess, Ellen et al,
ow> I once read that it's not advisable to microwave milk in the
ow> microwave. Something about retaining some radioactivity!? Has anyone
ow> else heard anything about this?
I've heated milk in the microwave lots of times, with no ill
First of all, microwave ovens do not produce the kind of
radiation that we associate with "radioactivity". It produces
a radio wave, just like radar installations, radio stations,
and most electronic equipment around the home. You probably
get more radio wave exposure from your computer than you do
from the microwave oven.
Second, the radiation produced by a microwave oven is basically
the same as light waves. Just as the room turns dark when you
turn off the lights, when the microwave oven turns off, all the
radiation is gone. There is no "residual" radiation hanging
around, just as there's no "residual" light remaining in the
room when the light is switched off.
Microwave ovens use radio waves, basically, to jiggle water
and fat molecules in the food that's being cooked. Heat is
molecular motion, and the faster molecules move around, the
hotter the substance is.
The main problem with microwaved food is that it often has
"hot spots" due to an uneven distribution of the radiation.
That's why the books advise letting stuff sit for a minute
or two after cooking to let the heat redistribute.
Hope this answers.
... All taglines are curently busy. Please try again
- --- Blue Wave/Max v2.20 [NR]