BREAD-DIGEST recipe: Scottish Oatcakes

cmathew@iadfw.net (Craig & Joan Mathew)
Fri, 17 Nov 1995 17:58:36 -0600
v006.n048.9
merush@jcpenney.com wrote:

>cmathew@iadfw.net (Joan Mathew) wrote:

>   [snip]

>>Joan
>>who has just finished making a lovely batch of whole-wheat pan rolls, a
tray of
>>bolillos (Mexican hard rolls), potatoes au gratin, sourdough French bread, and
>>Scottish oatcakes...all this morning!  Ugh, now I'm tired!
>>

>Ooooh, Joan, will you share your recipe for Scottish oatcakes?  Please?
Pleeeease??
>-- mer

Certainly.  Here it is:

Scottish Oatcakes
- -----------------------------
Makes 18 oatcakes

1/2 c. shortening (I used butter)
1 c. regular oats or quick-cooking oats
1 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2-3 Tbsp. cold water

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Cut shortening into oats, flour,
baking soda, and salt until mixture resembles fine crumbs.  Add water, 1
tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a stiff dough.  Roll until 1/8"
thick on lightly floured surface.  Cut into 2-1/2" rounds or squares (I use
any ol' cookie cutter that's around at the time).  Place on ungreased baking
sheet.  Bake until oatcakes start to brown, about 12-15 minutes.  Cool on
wire rack.

NOTE:  I found that my oatcakes required several minutes more before they
started turning golden brown...possibly about 20-22 minutes.  After that
long mine are still wonderfully flaky, slightly crunchy, and YUMMY!  So I
would suggest you go by their browned state rather than the exact time.