[none]

Katie E Green <kgreen@u.washington.edu> (by way of reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com)
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 00:25:59 -0700
v006.n039.1
(Reggie Dwork))
Subject: Recipe:  Potato Sourdough Starter   PART ONE (fwd)
Sender: owner-bread-bakers@lists.best.com

Reggie, this was a behind the thread post.  Its a great recipe and should
not be lost.  I have not posted the rest of the recipe (loaded it) as yet.
There are about 6 to 8 recipes that go with this starter.  It was a post
I was working on for hermans (in general) and I was going to finish it
hopefully, next week.  It makes wonderful potato bread...soft, nice.  Its
a rare little gem.  I'll forward the rest to you as soon as I get it loaded.
Katie
******

Sorry this took so long.  I had to go to another source.  Never did find
my recipe.  But this is it.  She can use this up and then make more when
ever she pleases.  Its a little gem that is hard to come by.  This is what
is considered a HERMAN.  I will send you more on the recipes and variations.

                          POTATO SOURDOUGH STARTER

        1/4 cup sugar
          3 TBS instant potato flakes
          1 package active dry yeast
          1 cup warm water (120 - 130F)
            starter food

  COMBINE:  first 3 ingredients in a small bowl.  Stir in warm water.
            Cover with plastic wrap; pierce wrap 4 or 5 times with
            tines of a fork.  Refrigerate 3 to 5 days.

  REMOVE:  starter from refrigerator; let stand at room temperature 1
           hour.

  STIR:  well.  Remove 1 cup starter; use in a recipe or give to a
         friend.

  PREPARE:  1 recipe Starter Food, and stir into remaining starter.  Let
            stand, uncovered, 8 to 12 hours.

  COVER:  with plastic wrap; pierce wrap 4 or 5 times with tines of a
          fork.  Refrigerate 3 to 5 days.  Each time starter is used,
          repeat the feeding procedure.  Use all starter or discard
          after 4 feedings.  Makes 3 1/2 cups

  Starter will produce either:    14 loaves of bread
                                  14 dozen rolls
                                  84 pancakes

  STARTER FOOD:                  3/4 cup sugar
                                   3 TBS instant potato flakes
                                   1 cup warm water (120 - 130F)

                                 Combine all ingredients, and use to feed
                                 sourdough starter after removing 1 cup
                                 as directed.