[none]

Katie E Green <kgreen@u.washington.edu> (by way of reggie@jeff-and-reggie.com)
Sat, 30 Sep 1995 00:25:17 -0700
v006.n038.18
(Reggie Dwork))
Subject: Recipe:  CRACKERS--Blue Cheese Crisps (fwd)
Sender: owner-bread-bakers@lists.best.com

This is especially for Arthur and all who are looking for a nosh that
was almost completely forgotten here in the states.  These are great.
The best definative I can give you is to tell you to try them.  We used
to get these back in the late 50's when I was a child.  So many of our
crackers and cookies are fad these days.  They vanished from the
stores by the mid 60's.  When my mother would buy a box...once it was
open it wouldn't last over an hour, if that.  I believe it was Nabisco,
who used to market these.  I am sure many will remember these.

These would be great for any tea, party or football game.  As the recipe
states, "We recommend that you make a double batch--they disappear pretty
quickly at our house."  This recipe is adapted from the beautiful
Shoalwater Restaurant, Seaview, Washington.

                          BLUE CHEESE CRISPS

          1/2 lb. blue cheese
          1/3 lb. butter, room temperature
        1 1/3 cup flour
          1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
          1/2 cup poppy seeds

   Preheat oven to 350F.  Crumble the cheese; add butter and cream to
   a smooth consistency.  Mix cayenne with flour; add to cheese mixture.
   Mix well.  Divide contents in half; wrap and chill for 1/2 hour.

   Roll each chilled ball of dough into a 1: thick cylinder.
   Roll each cylinder in the poppy seeds, coating them as desired.

   Cut cylinders into 1/4" slices.  (They will slice better if you
   pre-freeze them first for about 30 to 45 minutes.)  Lay on DRY
   baking sheets.  Bake 15 minutes or until a very light golden brown.
   Serve warm or at room temperature.

   This dough may be made ahead and stored in the freezer until
   needed.

   Makes 60 crackers (about a box).

   Recommended wine:  Johannisberg Riesling