Vegan, Sugar Free Bread

Joel.Ehrlich@salata.com (Joel Ehrlich)
28 Aug 95 08:31:07 -0700
v006.n036.19
 ow> From: ba903@freenet.carleton.ca (Julia Gilbert)
 ow> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 08:56:35 -0400
 ow> Subject: Vegan recipes??

 ow> Can anyone post or email me some vegan bread recipes? This would mean
 ow> (for those who don't know) no milk, eggs, or any other animal by
 ow> product. My friend also does not want sugar in the bread. Any
 ow> suggestions would be helpful!!
 ow> Thanks
 ow> Julia ba903@FreeNet.Carleton.CA

This is as close to impossible as you can get without actually being
there. Italian-style breads are made using only flour, yeast, salt,
sugar and water. But, leave out the sugar and the yeast will have to
start converting some of the gluten in the flour to sugar in order to
grow and produce the gas which makes the bread rise. Real bread (as
opposed to quick breads) uses yeat to make the bread rise. And yeast
feeds on sugars.

So, to have real bread (yeast bread), there must be some source of sugar
for the yeast. Either we add it to the dough or we get what is known as
a "rotten" dough. There's nothing wrong with a rotten dough, you simply
have to add more gluten to the mix so that there'll be enough to form
the "web" needed to hold the gas.

But don't think that there'll be no sugar in that loaf of bread, the
yeast will create what it needs from the gluten in the flour. What I'm
saying is that there is no such thing as a sugar free bread. There are
sugars in the flour.

Here's a recipe for Italian bread. If you elect to leave out the sugar,
add gluten so that your bread has at least some chance of rising,
although it probably won't do it in the time period allowed by most
bread machines.

 Italian Bread (ABM)    No. 3187                        Yields 1 Loaf

     1 Cup       Water                      3 Cups      Bread Flour
 1 1/4 tsp       Salt                   2 1/2 tsp       Yeast
     1 tsp       Sugar

Add the ingredients to the pan in the order listed.
Select "White Bread".
Press "Start".

Joel