Re: BREAD Digest V6 #15

"Tracy L. Carter" <PA100597@UTKVM1.UTK.EDU>
Wed, 12 Apr 95 21:09:52 LCL
v006.n016.3
>Date: Fri, 7 Apr 95 10:51:37 -0500
>From: cbacke@lsumc.edu (Cheryl Backes)
>Subject: bread machine blues
>
> I have recently purchased a Breadman Plus (3 months ago).  I make (or
>attempt to make ) bread everyday.  I can empathize with the person who
>reported having many flops with their machine.  Even the recipes that come
>with the Breadman Plus do not work in this machine. I have to stand right by
>the machine during the mixing/kneading in order to adjust the ingredients.
>Even then, the loaves rise, then fall during baking.  I have contacted the
>manufacturer on a couple of occasions.  They seem to think that I do not
>have the moisture content correct.  I have on occasion made the dough so dry
>that the loaf does not rise at all.  I do live in Louisiana where the
>humidity is high usually (90% on average); could this affect it?  I have
>varied the types of flour (King Arthur, Gold Medal, Pillsbury) and the
>types/amounts of yeast, and adding lemon juice, and adding gluten......... I
>am very frustated.  I would never even dream of letting my machine make a
>loaf by itself (overnight).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  The person
>at the manufacturer said that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to make
>bread in these machines -- why am I having all of these problems? One last

Cheryl,
It must be your humidity.  I have a Breadman Plus (Thanksgiving present) and
every recipe I have tried has worked, even out of cookbooks written for
other bread machines.  in fact, as we speak, my french bread has finished
baking.

Tracy L. Carter, Computer Programmer Technician   PA100597@UTKVM1.UTK.EDU
Univ. of Tennessee College of Social Work
**DISCLAIMER:  Any opinions stated are not the opinions of my employer!
"A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking!"