Re: BREAD Digest V6 #10

ai379@detroit.freenet.org (Howard Lawson)
Wed, 8 Mar 1995 21:48:20 -0500
v006.n011.1
I'm just getting into bread and students are loading my lots of
books, etc.  The May/June 1994 issue of Cook's Illustrated mag
published by Boston Common Press Limited , Brookline Village, MA
lists and rates bread machines as follows:
   National Bread Bakery, $375, Superb white and wheat, Rate A+
   Zojirushi $339, white & wheat good, fully loaded, B+
   West Bend Automatic, $200, wheat had pale sunken crust, very
     goo white and raisin. Excellent manual recipe. B
   Welbilt $170, stripped model. beautiful loaves. B
   Hitachi $360, thick, chewy crusts, frequent problems with
     crinkly tops, B-
   Toastmaster, $200, Crusts thin and pale C+
   Maxim, $275, Very good with white and wheat. Pulverizes
     raisins, Poor results from recipe in manual C+
   Regal, $330, Good wheat bread, raisins burned on bottom,
     very good reciple in manual, Pan is better for smaller
     recipes. rated C
   Breadman, $199. Wheat bread rises perfectly... White and
     raisin breads are disasters as is recipe.  All breads
     raised to top, then sunk. C
   Sanyo, $200 White, Wheat, and raisin breads were toal
     (total) disasters.  This machine has a major problem,
     an undersized pan.  rated D.
Gosh, I guess we'll be kneading our own bread until all
the bugs are out.  Hope this helps someone.