Sunken Tops

Betty Kuenzel <bkuenzel@bigcat.missouri.edu>
Tue, 31 Jan 1995 00:15:32 -0600 (CST)
v006.n006.9
I got a Toastmaster bread machine which I really like (makes 1-1/2 pound
loaves, is quiet, etc.) - but I'm having a terrible time with sunken
loaves.  I watch the moisture content while the dough is being kneaded,
so I don't think it's too much moisture - which leaves me with the
conclusion that it's too much yeast.  (the loaves rise very nicely and
then sink during the baking time)

I'm using Red Star active dry yeast (not the rapid rise) - and generally
make recipes out of Donna German's books.  It's becoming quite expensive
to keep flopping all these loaves of bread, since I use quite a lot of
the different recipes using all the "fun" ingredients - various whole
grains, cereals, fruits, nuts, etc.

Has anyone else had to cut the yeast back quite drastically?  I have one
cookbook (Better Homes & Gardens Bread Machine Bounty) in which almost
all the recipes call for 1 t. of yeast regardless of whether making a 1
lb. or a 1-1/2 lb. loaf.

On the other hand, the recipe book that came with my machine has recipes
that call for 2 or more teaspoons - I'm sure reluctant to try that!

Thanks for your comments!
betty k.