high altitude

mormaker@rmii.com
Fri, 14 Oct 94 08:42 MST
v005.n040.9
 I've got a DAK machine that I used once or twice a month for about a
year in Massachusetts.  Now I'm settled in Colorado (at about 5300 feet
above sea level) and I'm getting back into bread-baking.  I'm having
good luck following the suggestion of _Electric Bread_ and reducing
yeast by 1/4 teaspoon and water by about 1/8 of a cup.  However, all
types of bread are coming out with a rather thick and dark crust, even
when I turn the dark/light setting way down.  Any high-altitude
bread machine users out there with any suggestions?

Cheers,
  Leslie
Hi, Leslie.

I've never heard of the need to reduce water for high altitude baking.  I
live in Colorado Springs (6000 ft.) and I normally have to ADD a tablespoon
or two of water to the average recipe.  How much sugar or sweetner do you
put in your bread?  Sometimes too much sugar will make a dark crust.

Good luck,

Michelle M.