[no subject]

Allen J Michielsen <amichiel@mailbox.syr.edu>
Wed, 20 Oct 1993 20:38:29 -0400 (EDT)
v004.n037.2
I just had an opportunity to read your bread list inquiry, in regards to
problems with glutton sensitivity.  Her glutton sensitivity should be to
one (or a few) types of grain, and not all glutton in general.  From your
posting, I think you are implying Wheat Glutton sensitivity.
I have tried a great deal to make in a bread machine, breads which are
very high in non-wheat flour.  However, it has been without much success.
The timing of the cycle and the sensitivity of the dough are not compatible.
However, if you are going to make the bread by hand, I would suggest playing
with the following.
1. Looking for a source of Oat, Chestnut, Rye, or Durham Glutton.  Chestnut
glutton is available in Italy, so somebody should import it or order it...
2. Buy a small coffee mill, and grind your own cracked or rolled oats
(Old fashioned Oat Meal cereal is a good, easy to find source for rolled).
Be sure to grind as fine as possible to release as much of the available
Oat Glutton as possible.
3. Increase the preliminary mixing time, and decrease the mixing consistency
to thick water (like thick soup), with the non Wheat Flours.  The water
releases more of the available glutton from the flour.  Then, use the
required amount of cake or pastry flour (wheat flour, very low in glutton)
to thicken the dough out to a normal bread like consistency.  Even with
the use of wheat bread flour, less of the wheat glutton will be released
because the kneeding cycle is more complete.
4. Reduce the maximum rise of the final dough, and do not try to complete
multiple rises with the dough (this requires more dough for a normal size
loaf, and results in a coarser &/or denser bread).
5. As strange as this sounds... Buy all Wheat Glutton, and use only a 1/2
a teaspoon of it with the dough, which is made from _all_ _non_Wheat
flours.  I believe that the small additional pure glutton is less than the
total amount of wheat glutton which is in bread made from mostly of all wheat
flour, and all of the glutton content is used in the elasticity of the bread
and none (little) remains in the product flour.
6. Personally, I rate rye flour the worst (common) grain for available
glutton.  Oat, Durham, Semolina, or Semolina further beaten up in a
coffee mill are the best in that order for available glutton fro bread.

Good luck, let me know how you make out...
Cheers,
al

Al. Michielsen, Crouse Hinds School of Management, Syracuse University
 InterNet: amichiel@mailbox.syr.edu  amichiel@sunrise.acs.syr.edu
 Bitnet: AMICHIEL@SUNRISE