Re: bread Digest V3 #4

hyler@jaana.ast.saic.com (Buffy Hyler)
Thu, 16 Jan 1992 09:01:00 GMT
v003.n005.1
On Jan 8,  8:56am, bread@onion.rain.com wrote:

> From: "Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter (Cindy Smith)" <cms@dragon.com>
> Subject: Amish Friendship Bread
>
> Okay, this is my question:  what's the starter recipe?  Is it a secret?
> or is it just 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk?  It sure smells good!
> thanks!
Here is something I pulled out of rec.food.cooking a while back.  I don't know
the original author:

AMISH FRIENDSHIP BREAD
(Original Starter Recipe)

1 package active dry yeast
2-1/2 C. warm water
2 C. sifted flour
1 tablespoon sugar

Dissolve yeast in 1/2 C of the warm water in a deep glass
or plastic container.  Stir in remaining warm water, flour
and sugar.  Beat until smooth.  Cover with loose fitting cover.
DO NOT REFRIGERATE!

The starter requires 10 days for fermentation as follows:

DAY S 1, 2, 3 and 4:	Stir batter

DAY 5:			Add 1 C. each milk, flour, sugar and stir

DAYS 6, 7, and 8:	Stir batter each day

DAY  10:		Add 1 C each flour, sugar, milk; stir.

The batter is ready to use.

This makes 3 cups batter to use in the recipes.
If you want to you may pout 1 C. batter each into 3 containers
and give 1 or 2 away.

Save 1 C. to begin process all over again OR you can use all
3 cups batter for the recipes at 1 time and when you want to bake
these again just start the starter again.

OR use the other cup of batter to make the bread or cake.

- --
Buffy Hyler (hyler@ast.saic.com)
SAIC, Campus Point
San Diego, California